Sunday, April 5, 2009

Day 114 - Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout



Stone Brewing - Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Escondido, CA (USA)
ABV 9.2% Calories 250*


Aged for a year, this Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout sounds a lot better than it actually tastes. It pours blackish-brown with little head and my NY buddy commented that it looks and smells like soy-sauce. In terms of taste, I really like how this reviewer puts it: "the problem, I think, was in trying to replace hop bitterness with chocolate bitterness. It gives the beer a sharp, astringent, almost medicinal flavor, that isn't helped by too much unmasked alcohol. For whatever reason, the malts don't provide much flavor or complexity and whole thing sinks under its own weight. Too harsh? Maybe, but Stone set the bar high by virtue of the rest of their deliciously drinkable lineup.'

As an aside, I had this beer at the Stone Brewery this afternoon and since I was there, I brought back quite a few more Stone's, which I will continue to drink this coming week - I know Stone will redeem itself and I am looking forward to some tasty carbs.

*estimated

No comments:

Post a Comment