Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 146 - Duvel



Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat - Duvel
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium (BELGIUM)
ABV 8.5% Calories 198


I'm starting a week of very special beers; my first (and hopefully not last) full week of Belgian beers. I've only had a handful of Belgian beers so far but it is clear that they are some of the best beer makers in the world. Today I drink the quintessential Belgian beer; Duvel. Other than Chimay, I always thought this was one of the better Belgian brews - I certainly hope for my sake that I am wrong; I had the Duvel once in Belgium and enjoyed it immensely, however, this time around I wasn't very impressed (maybe my expectations were too high). It is a strong beer at 8.5%, great yeasty, citrusy, flavor that covers the alcoholic content. Crisp, with a frothy head laced with bitterness. I would definitely have a Chimay over this any day and I do hope some of the other Belgian's I have are better than this Duvel.

1 comment:

  1. Try a Duvel that hasn't been cooking under the cooler lights on the top shelf all year. Did you use the fluted glass?

    ReplyDelete