Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day 93 - Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale



North Coast Brewing - Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale
Fort Bragg, CA (USA)
ABV 9.3% Calories 400*


Fort Bragg is just north of Mendocino County, which is the origin of several of the other beers I've had so far; the interesting thing about this is I recently saw a show on TV describing the whole area's economy dependant upon marijuana production (60% of its residents are involved in some capacity with marijuana growth). My first thought was, maybe people high simply know how to make better beer - the best example would be all the Belgium brewers, which are only a few steps away from Amsterdam. Brother Thelonious is a strong dark beer, malty, lingering, and sweet. It is the closest I've had to a Belgium beer not brewed in Belgium. North Coast Brewing has a bunch of other craft beers and I will definitely search them out (even though it is more expensive than most beers, I'm sure the cost simply helps subsidize the weed for the brewers!).

*estimated (750ml)

No comments:

Post a Comment