Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day 208 - Mississippi Mud Black and Tan



Mississippi Brewing - Mississippi Mud Black and Tan
Utica, NY (USA)
ABV 5.0% Calories 160*


The first time I had this beer it was at a Claim Jumpers and I thought I was so cool drinking out of a big pint jug. It is hard for me to judge how good this black and tan is since its been so long since I've had a Guinness/Bass black and tan. The beer is a little dark, a little heavy for 5%, and doesn't go far with any bitter tastes or any other flavors for that matter. Maybe it is cool to just drink from a jug but it won't be on my shopping list for a long time. Plus how do you call yourself 'Mississippi' when you're brewed and bottled in Utica, NY? Lame.

*estimated

8 comments:

  1. I had this beer, too. AGREE COMPLETELY. Skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually -- I DID NOT say skip it! I said to Zak -- it is great to see you here. I love ALL the He'Brew beers. All of them. I had the pleasure to meet Zak at a home brew club in Central Jersey in 2004 (or maybe end of 2003). Zak, you are a KINDRED SPIRIT. LOVE your stout, and everything else is good too. I have since lived in the Midwest, and now the Pacific Northwest. I still love your beers and I buy them whenever I find them. I have no idea who said "skip it" (above), but it was not me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drinking one right now. I am not a fan of beer at all, but I do enjoy this beer. Wherever it is brewed, it's a winner for me.
    Now that I found your look through the rest of your beers and try some for myself.
    If you come up to Alaska you will have a TON of new ones to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it really only 160 calories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not quite. 495 kcal for the quart jug. which is about 160 kcal if you only drink 12 oz of it ;)

      Delete
  5. i bought for the container. prob never open it. just bought a 12 pack of steel reserve which was disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bottle of Mississippi Mud Black & Tan Beer 16 oz. from around 1996-1999. It has never been opened. If you look at the newer bottles you will notice that it doesn't have cellar aged on the bottle like my bottle has. Don't know if that speaks for the care that the product once had or not. Also it states on the bottle Produced by Mississippi Brewing Company Memphis, Tennessee. Just thought that you would want to know that information.

    ReplyDelete